I’m a big fan of music. Can’t sing to save my life, but I enjoy listening. Music has helped me in various ways over the years, from tackling boredom, to ignoring pestering people (having ear buds in), to cheering me up, learning easier and lastly, giving me tunes to dance to.
I’m also one of those people who are incredibly affected by their mood. I know it’s normal to be less productive when you’re sad or you can’t concentrate when you’re angry. But for me, it’s quite hard to shake off those feelings just by power of will. So I came up with a plan. For all these less than stellar moments, I created a playlist that can 99% of the time get me out of my funky moods. I call it: The Juice.
- T.I. – No Mediocre [Explicit] (feat. Iggy Azalea)
- Styles of Beyond – Second To None (feat. Mike Shinoda)
- Jessie J – Who’s Laughing Now
- Ciara – Gimmie Dat
- Ludacris – My Chick Bad [Explicit] (feat. Nicki Minaj)
- Eminem – Phenomenal
- Beyonce – Diva
- Nickelback – Bottoms Up
- Chris Brown – Gimme That (feat. Lil Wayne)
- Eminem – Berzerk [Explicit]
- Rob Bailey & The Hustle Standard – Beast (feat. Busta Rhymes, KXNG Crooked & Tech N9ne)
- Selena Gomez – Revival
- TroyBoi – Afterhours (feat. Diplo & Nina Sky)
- Iggy Azalea – Team
- Usher – Lemme See (feat. Rick Ross)
- Elderbrook – Could
- Chris Brown – Look At Me Now (feat. Lil Wayne, Busta Rhymes)
- Little Mix – Salute
- Demi Lovato – Waitin for You [Explicit] (feat. Sirah)
- Eminem – Lose Yourself
- Skrillex & Diplo – Mind (feat. Kai)
- Busta Rhymes – We Made It (feat. Linkin Park)
- Ciara – Ride (feat. Ludacris)
- Busta Rhymes – Why Stop Now [Explicit] (feat. Chris Brown)
- Iggy Azalea – Work
- A$AP ROCKY – Wild For The Night [Explicit] (feat. Skrillex, Birdy Nam Nam)
Some of these have been on the playlist for months, even years. Some songs come and go and the criteria is quite simple: they have a message I like and motivates me or they have a great beat that pumps me up or they remind me of certain moments and awesome things. They have to get me going, no matter what. Get me pumped, get me laughing, excited, off my ass and ready to do my shit. The second a song annoys me, it’s off the list. Clearly, none of these songs can ever be my alarm in the morning :).
We all have bad moments. Plans that don’t go the way we wanted them to. Disappointments. Heartbreaks. No Nutella in the fridge. My philosophy is: you get 5-10 minutes of misery and self-pity to cleanse that bad mojo out of you. But then, you dust yourself off and get back up again. My strategy is “The Juice“.
Have a eudemonic week!